MDHS reunion home
Calendar of Events
May 22, 2009
11 AM Golf Tournament
7-9 PM Registration at Train Station
7-11 PM *Informal Gathering at Pubs and Eateries
May 23, 2009
9 AM Activities Begin at 89 Church Street, Registration and Sign-in
10 AM Staff Brunch
10 AM Basketball
12 PM Opening Ceremonies/ Variety Show
6 PM *Reception at Building #1 Markham Fair Grounds - Cash Bar Opens
6:30 PM *Buffet Dinner(served t'ill 9:30), DJ music
May 24, 2009
  Alumni organized gatherings. Your Sunday events will be published here.
*Evening events are licenced, must be 19+ to attend.



Take a virtual Tour of MDHS. See locations around the school to get 360° views.

Yearbook Photos - pick a decade:



Education Began in 1858


Secondary school education officially began in Markham Village when the Country Council of York passed a by-law authorizing the establishment of a grammar school. This came into being in January, 1858, with Dr. Edward T. Crowle as the first headmaster. Since there was not a school building, quarters were rented in Temperance Hall, on the site now occupied by the Markham Lawn Bowling Club. During the first year, sixty-three students were registered.

Markham District High School cir1882
In 1860, land was purchased on Joseph Street, and a new one-room brick Grammar School was built. When four rooms were added in 1892, the original building became the science laboratory.
Towards the end of the century, there was a constant lack of classroom space. Alternations in 1924 provided changes in entrances, heating plant and corridors. In 1927, indoor washrooms were installed.
The year 1952 marked the establishment of the present Markham High School District, which comprises approximately the south-east half of Markham Township.
In April, 1953, the construction of the present school on Church Street began. In September, 1954, a modern, three hundred pupil Secondary School was opened. In July, 1964, construction was started on a vocational addition, which would make the Markham District High School a fully composite school. This was occupied in September, 1965. Two years later more accommodation was needed, and the latest addition was opened in January, 1970.
The enrolment for 1971-1972 in this large, well equipped composite school is approximately eighteen hundred students.
Among the principals who gave excellent leadership, and also, in some cases, many years of service, were: Mr. G. H. Reid, Mr. Bruce Clarke, Mr. J. S. Bell, Mr. Ewart I. Gales, Mr. Donaldson, Mr. L. Hamel Cooke, Mr. O. R. Stalter, Mr. Earle Thom, and Mr. B. J. Newell. The present principal is Mr. K. C. McDonald.

MDHS History

 Today, 2009, there is an air of change...

 Secondary school education officially began in Markham Village 1858...

 What was it like at MDHS in 1954? Answered by Ralph Pyle...

Comments about MDHS in 1954 by Lorne Smith

Life at MDHS in 1958 by Marian Mackworth

 What was life like at Markham High in 1896? History as told by Dr. E. C. Reynolds...


Hotels and Bed and Breakfasts for the “Out of Towners”


Here is a list of ways in which you could help